If anything could get kids to eat spinach, this warm salad can. Baby spinach is bathed in a sweet warm bacon vinaigrette that’s topped with crispy pieces of bacon, sliced hard boiled eggs, and sliced mushroom. This wonderful salad is great before a roasted pork roast with buttered spaetzle. After just one bite, however, it becomes clear this dish is something everyone could befriend for life. What kid (or adult, for that matter) wouldn’t love a sweet and sour dish covered in hard boiled eggs and crispy bacon?
Spinach Salad With Hot Bacon Dressing
- Medium skillet
- Salad bowl
- 8 slices Thick bacon, cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- 4 tbsp Reserved bacon fat from cooking bacon
- ½ medium Red onion, sliced thin
- ⅓ cup Red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Mustard powder
- 12 oz Baby spinach
- 8 oz White mushrooms, sliced
- 6 Eggs, hard boiled and quartered
- ½ tsp Each, salt and pepper
- Place bacon sticks in a cold skillet and turn heat to medium. Cook, stirring, unto bacon becomes crisp but not burnt, about 8 minutes. Remove all but 4 tbsp of the bacon fat. If short, add a little vegetable oil.
- Add onion slices and cook until softened slightly, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add the vinegar, sugar, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Whisk thoroughly.
- Place spinach in a wide salad bowl and toss with ¼ cup of warm dressing, onion slices, and mushrooms. Pour rest of dressing over everything and decorate with egg quarters and bacon.