This dish is a mix of thin rice noodles swimming in a subtly seasoned coconut milk sauce with chicken, shrimp, bean sprouts, and tofu. It is one of the most popular street foods in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.
Laksa Lemak – Chicken, Shrimp, and Rice Noodles in Coconut Sauce
- Large skillet or wok
- Food processor or mortar and pestle
- 2½ cups Water
- 1 Boneless chicken breast
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Ginger, crushed
- 5 small Thai chilis, chopped (Sub: dried, soaked for 15 minutes)
- 1 stalk Lemon grass, white part only (top 6-inches), tip removed, roughly chopped
- 1 medium Onion, cut in chunks
- 3 Macadamia nuts
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Ground coriander
- 6 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Dried shrimp, soaked in hot water 10 minutes
- 6 oz Medium shrimp, peeled, deviended
- 12 oz Dried rice noodles, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, drained
- 1¼ cup Thick coconut milk
- 6 oz Firm tofu, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups Mung bean sprouts
- 3 large Eggs, hard boiled and cut in half (optional)
- 5 small Fresh red chiles, chopped
- 4 stalk Scallions, tips removed, chopped
- 2 medium Limes, cut into 4 wedges each
- Prepare Broth – Bring 2½ cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add chicken, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer at medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve cooking liquid. Cut chicken into bite-size cubes. Hard boil 3 eggs in first 12 minutes of cooking, then cool, peel, and half.
- Prepare Spices – Put soaked dried shrimp in a food processor and pulverize. Transfer to a bowl. In the food processor, process the following into a fine paste: garlic, ginger, chili, lemon grass, onion, macadamia nuts, turmeric, and coriander.In skillet or wok over medium heat, add 2 tbsp vegetable oil and stir-fry dried shrimp for 1 minute. Add processed spices and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add 2 more tbsp vegetable oil and heat. Stir-fry shrimp and chicken cubes for 1 minute. Add reserved cooking liquid from saucepan and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Assemble and Serve – Add rice noodles and coconut milk. Slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and bean sprouts, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Serve in a serving bowl with a bowl for each diner, Serve with small bowls of chilies, scallions, and lime wedges on the side.