This dish is a mix of thin rice noodles swimming in a subtly seasoned coconut milk sauce with chicken, shrimp, bean sprouts, and tofu. It is one of the most popular street foods in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.
Laksa Lemak – Chicken, Shrimp, and Rice Noodles in Coconut Sauce
If all the ingredients are prepared in advance, this creamy dish is easy to make. Like many other Southeast Asian dishes, once you have one bite you can't stop. As an added bonus, it's also a healthy one dish meal.Print Pin
- Large skillet or wok
- Food processor or mortar and pestle
- 2½ cups Water
- 1 Boneless chicken breast
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp Ginger, crushed
- 5 small Thai chilis, chopped (Sub: dried, soaked for 15 minutes)
- 1 stalk Lemon grass, white part only (top 6-inches), tip removed, roughly chopped
- 1 medium Onion, cut in chunks
- 3 Macadamia nuts
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Ground coriander
- 6 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Dried shrimp, soaked in hot water 10 minutes
- 6 oz Medium shrimp, peeled, deviended
- 12 oz Dried rice noodles, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, drained
- 1¼ cup Thick coconut milk
- 6 oz Firm tofu, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 cups Mung bean sprouts
- 3 large Eggs, hard boiled and cut in half (optional)
- 5 small Fresh red chiles, chopped
- 4 stalk Scallions, tips removed, chopped
- 2 medium Limes, cut into 4 wedges each
- Prepare Broth – Bring 2½ cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Add chicken, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer at medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve cooking liquid. Cut chicken into bite-size cubes. Hard boil 3 eggs in first 12 minutes of cooking, then cool, peel, and half.
- Prepare Spices – Put soaked dried shrimp in a food processor and pulverize. Transfer to a bowl. In the food processor, process the following into a fine paste: garlic, ginger, chili, lemon grass, onion, macadamia nuts, turmeric, and coriander.In skillet or wok over medium heat, add 2 tbsp vegetable oil and stir-fry dried shrimp for 1 minute. Add processed spices and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add 2 more tbsp vegetable oil and heat. Stir-fry shrimp and chicken cubes for 1 minute. Add reserved cooking liquid from saucepan and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Assemble and Serve – Add rice noodles and coconut milk. Slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and bean sprouts, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Serve in a serving bowl with a bowl for each diner, Serve with small bowls of chilies, scallions, and lime wedges on the side.
Calories: 593kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 172mg | Sodium: 809mg | Potassium: 593mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 671IU | Vitamin C: 69mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 4mg