Shopska Salata, also known as Bulgarian salad, is a Bulgarian cold salad popular throughout the Balkans and Southern Europe. This is Bulgaria’s most famous dish and their national salad. The ingredients used were allegedly chosen in part because they resemble the three colors of the Bulgarian flag, and thus would evoke a national sentiment. To take this seemingly simple salad to another level, track down a good Bulgarian feta cheese.
Shopska Salata – Bulgarian Chopped Salad
- Container with lid
- Salad bowl
- ½ cup Sunflower oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp Sugar
- ½ `tsp Salt and pepper, each
- 2 cups Grape tomatoes, quartered or 4 regular, chopped
- 3 large Red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- 1 large Cucumber, diced
- 1 small Red onion, chopped
- 4 stalk Scallion, ¼-inch slices
- ⅓ cup Parsley, chopped
- 1½ cups Bulgarian feta cheese (sirene) or Greek, crumbled
- Dressing – In a small container with a lid, add olive oil, vinegar, sugar, pepper, and salt. Cover and shake vigorously. Assemble – Add tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, and scallions. Pour in dressing and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.Serve – Remove bowl from refrigerator and sprinkle feta cheese and parsley on top.