Hasselback potatoes are beautiful! They are a type of baked potato that is cut about halfway through into thin, fan-like slices. Hasselback potatoes may have been created in 1953 by a trainee chef at the Hasselbacken restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden. However, there is a recipe for “Oven Fried Potatoes (Hasselback Potatoes )” in the 1929 “Prinsessornas kokbok”(The cookbook of Princesses) by Jenny Åkerström, leading to some question if the recipe does in fact originate at that restaurant. Regardless, they’re an attractive alternative to a traditional baked potato side dish.
Hasselback Potatoes- Swedish Crispy Baked Potatoes
Crispy Hasselback potatoes with rosemary and garlic are the perfect accompaniment for roast meats and poultry. Thin slices across the top of potatoes produce a crispy skin, soft interior fold, and herb flavors galore. They can be served as a main course, side dish, or canape. Various toppings can be added, such as caraway seeds, paprika, and, like in this recipe, herbs.Print Pin
- Large heavy skillet
- Pastry brush
- 6 medium Russet potatoes
- 5 tbsp Unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp Mixed ground herbs (thyme, rosemary)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp Chopped bacon, parmesan or cheddar cheese and/or sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Prep – Preheat oven to 425°F (205°C). Grease a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with butter.Cut each potato crosswise into ⅙-inch slices, cutting to within ¼-inch of the bottom. See Note.Arrange potatoes in skillet 1- inch apart. Brush with half the melted butter, getting between the slices, and sprinkle with half the spices and parsley. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Bake – Bake covered for 30 minutes. Drizzle potatoes with remaining butter and spices. Bake uncovered for another 20-30 minutes. Potatoes should be crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve hot.
- Place two wooden spoons or chopsticks alongside the potato, lengthwise, on a cutting board. This will allow your knife to cut down to the exact same place each time, without going too far.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 156mg | Potassium: 891mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 294IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2mg