Coconut macaroons are ancient dish that has crossed many borders and religions. Contrary to popular belief, these beauties didn’t come from the kitchens of Jewish grandmothers in Eastern Europe. More likely, these tasty treats probably originated in an Italian-Christian monastery sometime in the 8th or 9th century. During the 1400s, almond trade between Arabs and Venetians gave rise to this Syrian version that utilized sugar and well as almonds.
The perfection of these moist and chewy treats comes from the softness of fluffy sweetened shredded coconut combined with the chewiness of unsweetened coconut. Dip them in chocolate for an even more perfect treat. Instead of the flour usually used, matzoh cake meal can be used to make them Kosher for Passover.Print Pin
Servings: 24 macaroons
- 2 Large baking pans lined with parchment paper
- Stand mixer with whisk attachment
- Medium bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Small 1 ounce cookie scoop
- 3 large Egg whites
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract (for Passover, use lemon, orange, or lime zest instead)
- 1½ cup Sweetened flaked coconut
- 1½ cup Unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp Almond flour or matzo cake meal (all-purpose flour can be used)
- 4 oz Bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Prep – Preheat oven to 325°C (165°C). Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper. Put chocolate pieces in a microwave safe bowl.
- Make Batter – In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, salt, and sugar at medium speed until thick and creamy. Mix in oil and vanilla extract. Fold in the coconut and flour until everything is combined and moist.
- Assemble – Using a small cookie scoop or you fingers, scoop out 2 tbsp batter and roll into a ball. Place balls onto the cookie pans, spaced a few inches apart. Light pinch the tops.
- Bake – Place pans in oven and bake until they become golden brown on the bottom and toasted on top, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool on their baking pans.
- Finish – Melt chocolate in microwave at 50% power. Stir every 30 seconds until just smooth and creamy. Dip the bottom of each macaroon in the chocolate and allow excess to drip back into the bowl. Return to the lined baking sheets until done. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to let chocolate set. Store macaroons in an airtight container for about a week or in the freezer for up-to a month..
- Uncooked batter may be refrigerated in a sealed container for up-to 2 days before baking.
Calories: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 0.3mg | Sodium: 49mg | Potassium: 84mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 2IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 1mg