France is famous for its incredible array of phenomenal cheese: milk, sheep, and goat; Cave aged and ash covered; pasteurized and raw. This simple terrine recipe shows off two of the greats from the southwest region: the cave-aged powerful Roquefort cheese and the meltingly smooth Laguiole.
Terrines aux Fromages- Cheese Terrines
These flavor-packed terrines show off the beauty of France's truly magnificent Roquefort cheese in an easy and quick recipe. It's perfect as an appetizer or part of an charcuterie board. Serve warm with sliced apples or grapes and a crusty baguette.Print Pin
- Stand mixer with whip attachment, chilled
- Food processor
- 4-6 6-ounce or 4-ounce ramekins
- Small roasting pan
- 4 oz Roquefort cheese
- 2 oz Walnut pieces, lightly toasted
- 2 large Egg yolks
- 2 tbsp Walnut liquor or another nut liquor
- Ground white pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Heavy cream, cold
- 3 large Egg whites, room temperature
- 1 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Butter ramekins. Combine Roquefort, egg yolks, nut liqueur, and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Add toasted walnut pieces and process a few pulses more. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- In a stand-up mixer with chilled metal bowl and whisk attachment, whip heavy cream until stiff. Gradually fold whipped cream into the walnut-cheese mixture. Wash out mixer bowl and whisk attachment.
- In cleaned mixer bowl, whip egg until stiff but not dry. Stir ¼ of the egg whites into the cheese-walnut mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg whites. Fill a third of each ramekin with the mixture. Top each with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and then top that with remaining cheese walnut mixture. Sprinkle any remaining shredded cheese over that. Place ramekins in a pan with sides and fill with hot-but-not boiling water about ⅔ of the way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake until the terrines are puffed and golden, about 10 minutes. Immediately remove from the water bath and serve warm.
Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 403mg | Potassium: 105mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 464IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 185mg | Iron: 1mg