The North African country of Algeria borders the Mediterranean Sea to its North. This one-time French colony is also the largest country on the African continent. This lovely appetizer clearly reflects French influence (puff pastry, tomatoes) and the bountiful Algerian Mediterranean coastline (tuna fish).
Pied-Noir Cocas – Algerian Tuna Pastry Shells
The top of Algeria sits on the Mediterranean Sea. Because of this location, an abundance of seafood and strong Middle Eastern influence is apparent in the cuisine of Algeria. This dish is a really tasty appetizer to serve before any main course.Print Pin
- Frying pan
- Pastry brush
- Baking pan
- 8 oz Frozen puff pastry, defrosted in refrigerator.
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- ½ Can diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 Vache qui rit (Laughing Cow triangles) or another soft cheese like camembert or brie
- ½ cup Shredded cheese, any kind
- 1 Can Tuna, drained
- 1 Egg, hard boiled and diced
- 1 tbsp Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt, pepper and paprika
- ¼ cup Sliced olives
- 1 Egg mixed with 1 tbsp water
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, peppers until soft and slightly colored, 3-5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, cover, and continue cooking until everything is combined and soft, 10 minutes or-so. Remove from heat and mix in tuna and remaining ingredients except egg yolk mix. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove puff pastry from refrigerator and roll it out a bit. Cut sheet in half horizontally and then cut 3 vertical slices to create 6 rectangles. Fill the middle of each rectangle with 3-4 tbsp of filling. Dab one edge with egg wash and fold one side over the filling. Press edge to seal. Brush with egg wash and bake until brown and puffed, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Calories: 833kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 62g | Saturated Fat: 32g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 23g | Trans Fat: 0.003g | Cholesterol: 226mg | Sodium: 1313mg | Potassium: 484mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1758IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 383mg | Iron: 3mg