Shuku Shuku is a sweet tasting Nigerian snack and street food that has been fully embraced by Nigeria’s neighboring countries in West Africa. Along with Shuku Shuku, West Africa also has delicious double-named snack foods like Chin Chin and Puff Puff. These morsels can be eaten any time of day for a nice treat.
Shuku Shuku- Nigerian Coconut Balls
- Large bowl
- Baking pan
- 2 cups Unsweetened shredded coconut
- 4 large Egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract (or ¼ tsp nutmeg)
- ½ cup Flour, self-rising or all-purpose
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment and coat with cooking spray. Place flour on a plate.
- Combine coconut, egg yolks, vanilla, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix well until mixture is fully combined.
- Scoop a spoonful of mixture with your hands and roll into golf ball-sized balls. Coat balls in flour and place on baking tray.
- Bake until they turn a light 'brown, about 15-20 minutes. Cool and store in an airtight container.