Garden eggs are small eggplants grown in West Africa. They get their descriptive name from their appearance. Hanging on vines, these small eggplant look like eggs. They’re similar to Thai eggplants in size and taste and have a slightly “tangier” flavor than the more familiar eggplant (also called aubergine). Much like most of the dishes in West African coastal countries, fish in various forms is included as a source of protein.
Nyadowa- Ghanaian Eggplant Stew
Extremely popular in Ghana, this dish can be made as a equally as delicious vegan version by replacing the fish and baby shrimps with peanut butter and the chicken stock with vegetable stock.Print Pin
- Large pot
- large saucepan or skillet
- Large bowl
- Potato masher.
- 2 lbs Eggplant or 10 large garden eggs (Thai eggplants)
- 3 large Tilapia fillets, cut in half (omit for vegetarian/vegan)
- 1 tsp Each: salt, cayenne, smoked paprika (for marinade)
- 1 large White onion
- 14 oz Can pureed tomatoes
- 1 large Scotch bonnet or habanero chili pepper, chopped
- ½ cup Palm oil
- 1 cube Chicken or vegetable bullion
- ½ cup Basil
- ¼ cup Dried baby shrimp (or replace with 2 tbsp peanut butter)
- Salt to taste
- Prep – Remove stems and peel eggplants and chop into big chunks. If using Thai eggplants, cut into quarters. Boil eggplants in salted water for 10-15 minutes until fork tender. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Mash eggplants until slightly chunky (like crushed tomatoes). Halve and slice onion into ¼-inch crescents. Place tilapia filets in a plastic bag, add marinade seasonings, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Make Sauce – In a deep saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Fry onion and chili pepper for 5 minutes. Add tomato and cook until the sauce thickens and oil starts to raise to the top, about 15-20 minutes. Add in mashed eggplant and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in crushed bullion cube and basil, then mix in the dried shrimp and add the fish filets. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until fish is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 155mg | Sodium: 483mg | Potassium: 839mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 283IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 3mg