A South African braai favorite, oysters are grilled over flames and then served in their shells, swimming in herb butter and sprinkled with Dukkah, the Egyptian spice mixture made from nuts, seeds, and spices. These delicious warm oysters are almost always present at a South African braai (community cookout) to munch on while the meats are still cooking.
Grilled Dukkah Oysters with Herb Butter
- small saucepan
- 8 tbsp Butter
- 1 stalk Scallion, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Chives, finely chopped (2 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (2 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp Hot sauce like Tabasco
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- 12 large Fresh oysters
- 2 tbsp Dukkah spice mix RECIPE
- Combine all the herb butter ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Stir and set aside.
- Throw oyster onto a hot grill. When they pop open, they're done. Remove the top shell, spoon on a little herb butter and lightly salt and pepper. Sprinkle on a little dukkah and serve hot.