Oto is mashed yams and red onions caramelized in red palm oil topped with hard boiled eggs. It is very special to Ghanaians. It is reserved for special occasions like birthdays, weddings, and other important celebrations and festivals that bring the whole community together.
Oto – Mashed Yams with Red Onions
- Large pot
- Medium frying pan
- wood spoon
- Large bowl
- Potato masher.
- 3 large Yams, peeled and cubed (Sub: sweet white sweet potatoes or sweet potatoes)
- ¼ cup Red Palm oil (Sun: coconut or vegetable oil)
- 1 medium Red onion, finely diced
- 1 Chicken or shrimp bouillon cube
- Salt to taste
- 3 large Hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- Boil yam cube in a large pot until fork tender. Strain when done and transfer to a large bowl and mash
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and allow them to caramelize. Add bullion cube and continue cooking until dissolved.
- Add onions and oil to the bowl with yams. Mix until everything is combined and the yams turn a bright yellow. Season to taste with salt. Place eggs on top and serve.