The Indian continent was “ruled” by the British Crown from 1858 to 1947. The only good to come from this period was on the culinary front. Anglicized cooking techniques merged with Indian ingredients, and vice-versa, to create some wonderful dishes. In England, they fell in love with exciting new dishes like Chicken Tikka Masala and this masterpiece, Mulligatawny Soup.
Mulligatawny – Curried Chicken Soup
The ingredients in this delicious British and Indian mashup form a satisfying thick soup that beautifully balances sweet, spicy, creamy, and chewy. It's a seemingly long list of ingredients but most should already in your pantry or available at the local market. It's not at all difficult to make and its subtle mix of sweet and savory will appeal to pretty much everybody.Print Pin
- Stock Pot
- ½ tsp Powdered mustard
- ½ tsp Ground cumin
- ½ tsp Ground coriander
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 large Chicken thighs with skin and bones
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium Carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 rib Celery, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 medium Sweet potato, peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 medium Apple, peeled and cored, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 large Plum tomato, cut into ¼-inch dice (Sub: ½ can diced tomatoes)
- 14 oz Coconut milk (1 can)
- 5 cups Chicken broth
- ½ cup Finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 small Red chili peppers, sliced diagonally (optional)
- Prepare Chicken – Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season chicken thighs with salt and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Cook Soup – Add onion, carrot, and celery to pot and cook, stirring, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and ground spices, mix to coat onions. Stir in diced sweet potato, apple, and tomato, then garlic and ginger. Add chicken thighs with juices, chicken broth, and coconut milk. Cook until potatoes are soft, around 1 hour.
- Remove chicken thighs and shred meat and skin, discarding bones. Return to pot and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro and red pepper and, if you'd like, a swirl of cooling yogurt.
- Soup freezes well for several months in sealed containers
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 818mg | Potassium: 464mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 7247IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1mg