Auyama is the Dominican name for Calabasa or West Indian pumpkin, a winter squash typically grown in the Caribbean and the Philippines. In the Caribbean, “soup” usually refers to a complete meal. Caribbean soup recipes are typically thick and rich containing at least one meat, large pieces of vegetables, and some tubers such as yam and potatoes. In many cases, soups are very similar to stews with only slightly more liquid. A Caribbean soup is a hearty, satisfying meal that is welcome even on a hot day.
Crema de Auyama – Cream of Pumpkin Soup
This smooth and soothing soup is a somewhat more sophisticated version of the traditional pumpkin stews served throughout the Caribbean as a one-pot main dish. If Calabasas or West Indian pumpkin is not available, this dish works equally as well with butternut squash.Print Pin
- Food Processor or blender
- Large saucepan or soup pot
- 2 lb West Indian pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups Evaporated milk
- 12 cups Vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large White onion
- 1 tbsp Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup Sour cream (garnish)
- Boil pumpkin/squash for 20 minutes or microwave in a plastic freezer bag with ⅙ cup water for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil over low heat in a saucepan. Add onion and parsley and cook until onion becomes soft and translucent, 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat to cool down.
- Puree half of the pumpkin, stock, milk, and onions in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to the pot with onions and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Reheat over medium heat stirring until it reaches a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with a dollop or swirl of sour cream. Serve hot with crusty bread or croutons.
- For a lighter soup, the evaporated milk may be replaced with 2 cups of broth.
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 2025mg | Potassium: 852mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 17408IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 322mg | Iron: 1mg