Jamaican curry is a combination of local creole cooking (allspice, tomatoes) and curries traditional to India. This same curry recipe can be made with goat meat to produce Jamaica’s famous Goat Curry. MHT uses chicken in this recipe since it’s easier to get ahold of.
Jamaican Curry Chicken
This simple dish packs the flavors of the Caribbean. It is a great introduction to curried meat dishes that use creamy coconut milk. Serve with plain white rice.Print Pin
- Large skillet or wok
- 20 oz Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 medium Red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium Pickled or fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 3 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- ¾ tsp Ground allspice
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 medium Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced (omit for vegetarian version)
- 15 oz Can of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp White wine vinegar
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional garnish)
- Prep – Sprinkle chicken cubes with salt. Set aside.
- Make Base – Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, around 5-8 minutes. Add red bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, and ginger and stir until softened, about 2 minutes. Add curry powder, turmeric, allspice, and cayenne, Stir constantly until spices turn a deep gold and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Cook Curry – Add the chicken cubes and sauté for 5 minutes to turn golden brown. Stir in potatoes, if using, and cook 3 minutes. Then stir in coconut milk, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and hot sauce. Adjust heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is tender and potatoes are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Sauce should be slightly reduced. Stir occasionally to keep sauce from sticking.
- Serve – Season with additional salt or hot sauce, if desired. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve next to rice.
Calories: 28kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0.2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 702mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 169IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 2mg