The Chinese have a wonderful way with leafy greens. There is usually very little sauce so that the freshness and flavor is enhanced, not masked. This recipe is a fast and easy way to cook any leafy green, such as bok choy, gai lan (Chinese broccoli), spinach, or even Swiss chard.
Cantonese Stir-Fried Greens
- Wok or large skillet
- 2 lb Bok Choy, Chinese broccoli, or swiss chard
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- ½ inch Ginger root, peeled and sliced into thin coins
- 2 cloves Garlic, sliced thin
- 2 stalk Scallions, white and light green parts only, minced
- ½ tsp Sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Oyster sauce or sesame oil
- Rinse vegetables in a colander. Cut bok choy in half or others into 2-inch slices. Heat oil in a wok over medium heat until hot. Stir fry ginger, garlic, and scallion until fragrant, about 1 minute.Turn heat to high and add greens. Stir fry for 2 minutes, then add sugar and season with salt. Stir-fry 1 minute more, stir in oyster sauce or sesame oil, and serve.