Da Lu Mian – Northern China’s hearty climate has made it the center for wheat dishes like hand-pulled noodles and baozi (steamed buns and dumplings). Similar to its neighbors to the east, Korea and Japan, hearty winter vegetables like white cabbage and carrots can be found in many of the regions dishes. Northern fried noodles represent a wonderful way to combine these ingredients – wheat noodles, cabbage, and sweet bean sauce- to create this delicious and meaty noodle dish. Fresh Chinese wheat noodles or dried noodles can be found in many supermarkets or online.
Da Lu Mian – Peking Noodles
The most popular vegetable in the northern regions of China is white cabbage. When ground pork is served with cabbage in a robust sauce of sweet soy flavors over thick noodles, a complex masterpiece emerges. Served with julienned cucumber or bok choy, this Chinese "spaghetti with meat sauce" is guaranteed to have everybody asking for more.Print Pin
- Large pot
- 12 oz Chinese egg noodles, fresh or dried
- 4 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 6 oz Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, soaked for 20 minutes in hot water (Fresh mushroom caps may be used in a pinch)
- ¼ whole Chinese cabbage (napa cabbage also OK)
- 4 Scallions
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Sweet bean sauce (or Hoisin sauce)
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- Prepare – Boil noodles to almost-done per package instructions. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop cooking. Leave in colander.Drain soaked mushrooms, remove stems and shred. Shred cabbage into ¼-inch slices. Cut scallions onto 2-inch pieces.
- Cook – Heat oil in a wok until smoking. Add pork and mushroom. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add scallion, soy, and bean sauces, cabbage, and salt. Stir-fry another 2 minutes. Add the noodles and toss thoroughly. Add sesame oil and toss until everything is heated through. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Calories: 929kcal | Carbohydrates: 98g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 13g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 153mg | Sodium: 1303mg | Potassium: 1247mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 181IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 4mg