Both France and Belgium border the Atlantic ocean and each other. French creativity is on display in Brittany with the just three ingredients. Sweet sea scallops baked over bitter endive and sitting in soothing butter is an inspired combination. It brings together Brittany’s unlimited access to the freshest seafood available with the bitter endive that Belgium is famous for. Add melted butter baked between the two and a simple-yet-luscious dish emerges.
Coquille (Scallops) Baked With Endive
- Casserole dish
- 20 oz Large sea scallops
- 2 Endives, bottoms trimmed and leaves separated
- 3 tbsp Good European butter, unsalted
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium Lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Preheat oven to 450° (230°C). Fill a casserole with enough endive leaves to place one scallop each on. Dot each leaf with butter. Put in over for 10 minutes. Top with scallop, salt and pepper, turn over to sit in melted butter. Return to oven and bake until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and a good bread for dipping.