When made with the freshest sole, this simple dish can be life-altering. It is slightly sweet with a soft chew. The butter, garlic, and parsley topping is silky and rich. Paired with crisp pomme frites, a sliced baguette, and a glass of a good chablis, the experience of eating this fish can be ethereal.
It is not uncommon to walk into any storefront restaurant along the northwest coast of France and be served an incredibly fresh dover sole pulled from the ice cold Atlantic ocean waters that same morning. Bathed in a buttery sauce, this incredible dish defines the magnificence of French cuisine.
Sole Meuniere- Sole with Butter-Parsley Sauce
This classic pan-fried sole dish is timeless. Its beauty lies in its simplicity and the buttery juices the gentle sole lays in. Pair with a side of potatoes- its a must to soak up the sauce. Buttered green beans also pair as well. Any type of sole works well with this dish as long as it's fresh caught or flash frozen.Print Pin
- 2 nonstick frying pans
- 4 Dover sole fillets (gray or lemon sole OK), 6-8 oz/ea.
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp Unsalted European butter
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 tbsp Lemon juice
- 4 tbsp Chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Season fillets with salt and pepper. Dredge them in flour. Heat 2 large skillets over medium-high heat and add 2 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil to each. When hot, split fillets between pans and cook until golden brown turning once after 3 minutes. After 5 minutes total, gently remove fish to the plates they will be served on.
- Return the pans to low heat and whisk 1 tbsp butter into each. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice and parsley to each pan for 30 seconds more. Spoon sauce over each and serve with lemon wedges. French fries and steamed green beans are perfect accompaniments.
- If fresh sole is not available, fresh-frozen sale will work.
Calories: 848kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 114g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 450mg | Sodium: 927mg | Potassium: 1484mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin A: 841IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 202mg | Iron: 2mg