Liptauer is typically eaten on an open sandwich, toast, crackers, bagels or as a filling in cold dishes such as stuffed tomatoes, peppers, or hard boiled eggs. It can make for a wonderful dip to serve with crudité.
In Austria, Liptauer is a typical snack served at Austrian wine-drinking taverns called Heurigin. It is commonly enjoyed in Hungary and Slovakia under different names as well.
Liptauer – Cheese Spread
Liptauer is a quick and easy cheese spread or dip to make and serve as part of a spread for munching on before a meal. This recipe is perfect for serving slathered on hearty rye bread or pumpernickel. The addition of another ¼ cup of sour cream makes it a perfect dip for vegetables and bread sticks.Print Pin
Servings: 2 cups
- Stand Mixer with paddle attachment
- 1 cup Full fat cottage cheese
- 4 oz Cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp Sweet Hungarian paprika
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp Caraway seeds
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Capers, chopped
- 3 tbsp Chives, finely chopped (1 tsp dried) or green part of 1 scallion
- 1 tbsp Onion, minced (or white section of 1 scallion)
- ¼ cup Sour cream, (add ¼ more if using for dip)
- Drain the cottage cheese through a strainer. Meanwhile, cream the butter in a mixer with the paddle attachment. Add cream cheese and blend. Beat rest of the ingredients, except chives, until combined thoroughly.Refrigerate for a few hours in a small bowl lined with plastic wrap. To serve, remove from refrigerator and place bowl onto the middle of a serving platter. Sprinkle chives on top. Surround with slices of stiff rye bread, baguette, or crackers, and/or crunchy raw vegetables for dipping.
- Liptauer can be made 3-4 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Calories: 581kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 53g | Saturated Fat: 31g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 152mg | Sodium: 1188mg | Potassium: 349mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3523IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 205mg | Iron: 1mg