Obatzda is a Bavarian beer cheese dip or spread that is made from combining aged soft cheese (usually Camembert), butter, some Frischkäse (quark or cream cheese), onion, and spices. The spices typically used are paprika, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper. The cheese is mashed together until smooth, and then the other ingredients are added and mixed until combined. The spread is then chilled for at least 3 hours before serving.
Obatzda – Bavarian Beer Cheese Dip
- Medium bowl
- 9 oz Camembert cheese (sub: brie)
- 8 oz Spreadable cheese like Laughing Cow creamy Swiss or whipped cream cheese
- ⅓ cup High quality unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp German wheat beer
- 1 tsp Ground caraway seed (sub: whole seeds)
- 2 tsp Sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- ¼ cup Chives
- 1 small Sweet or red onion
- PREP -30 minutes before making dip, cut camembert and butter into small cubes. Toss in bowl to soften. Chop soft cheese and set aside. Finely chop chives and cut onion in half and then into thin slices. Finely chop chives.
- Make Obatzda – Add beer, ground caraway, paprika, salt, and pepper to the room temperature camembert and butter. Press with a fork or hands until well combined and smooth. Place in the refrigerator, covered, for 3 hours or longer.
- Serve – Remove from refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature. Thoroughly mix in soft cheese (or whipped cream cheese) and 2 tbsp chopped chives and garnish top with remaining chives and sliced onion. Serve alongside German pretzels, a rustic bread, or cold vegetables.
- Adding soft cheese to the obatzda right before serving helps to loosen the chilled cheese and butter.
- Obatzda, without onion, may be stored for days in an airtight container.