This amazing traditional roast chicken with lemon sauce is a perfect example of how the Greeks take the simplest ingredients and with little effort, transform them into unforgettable dishes. This succulent roast chicken dish is a revelation, especially when served with crispy potatoes bathed in the bright lemon sauce.
Kotopoulo Lemonato – Lemon Chicken
- Roasting pan or casserole
- Aluminum foil
- 1 Cut-up whole chicken (or 6-8 thighs)
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 3 Lemons juiced
- tsp White wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 4 oz Feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry chicken pieces. Rub tops with garlic. Place chicken pieces skin-side up in an oven proof casserole or roasting pan. Season well with salt and pepper.Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Pour in enough water around chicken to cover ⅓ of each piece. Chop garlic used for rubbing and add to chicken along with lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, pepper, ½ tsp salt and oregano..
- Cover chicken pan with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle feta cubes on top of chicken. Return to oven, uncovered, for another 15-20 minutes until chicken is golden brown and crispy.
- Plate chicken pieces on top of sauce. Serve with crispy potatoes, a side of salad or green beans, and some bread for mopping up the delicious sauce.