These biscuits were named after Mir Osman Ali Khan, the last Nizam of Hyderabad. He used to crave for these biscuits as they had the right balance of sweetness and saltiness, and pair perfectly with a hot cup of Irani Chai (tea).
The classic story spoken in Hyderabadi is that Nizam Osman Ali Khan ordered these biscuits from a local hotel. He would send a special car daily to get them fresh for his royal tea parties. They were initially a salt biscuit, but in response to Osman’s sweet tooth, the biscuits became sweeter and have been a breakfast and tea time obsession in Hyderabad ever since.
Osmania Biscuits are melt in your mouth, buttery cookies with delectable combination of sweet and salt that makes them perfect for dipping in Irani Chai at breakfast and tea time.Print Pin
- Small bowl
- 2 Medium bowls
- Large baking pan lined with parchment paper
- Cooling rack
- Rolling Pin
- 2-inch cookie cutter or small glass
- 8 tbsp Butter, softened
- ½ cup Powdered sugar
- 1½ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tbsp Milk powder
- 6 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 pinch Saffron, soaked in 2 tbsp milk (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, milk powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Work sugar, butter, and vanilla together in another bowl. Mix in flour a few tbsp at a time. When dough feels dry, add 1 tbsp milk to moisten. Continue until all the flour and 4 tbsp of milk have been incorporated.
- Roll out dough 1-inch thick. Cut out 2-inch circles with a cookie cutter. Transfer them to a parchment-covered baking tray, spacing cookies 1-inch apart. Brush cookie tops with saffron milk or just 2 tbsp of plain milk.
- Bake until they become golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let them cool down for 15 minutes on the tray.
Calories: 83kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 62mg | Potassium: 28mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 154IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 0.5mg