These green beans are usually reserved for special occasions. They are melt-in-your-mouth good and the addition of the region’s famous mortadella puts them in another league. They are especially good with balsamic-flavored grilled meats and roasts.
Fagiolini alla Bolognese – Green Beans with Mortadella
- Large heavy skillet with cover
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Onion, sliced thin
- 1 lb Fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2 oz Mortadella, minced
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1 pinch Ground cloves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Turn heat to high and add green beans. Cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes until the beans turn a deep golden brown. Stir in the mortadella, stock, and cloves. Bring to a gentle bubble, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook about 15 minutes until beans are tender. Add a little water if they look like they're sticking or scorching. Beans can be refrigerated at this point.To finish dish, remove cover and concentrate the sauce by boiling off all the liquid. Keep turning beans until only a thick sauce remains. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
- This dish can be cooked in advance, refrigerated, and warmed in microwave or saucepan