This uncluttered salad showcases the essence of Italian cuisine- the freshest and highest quality ingredients presented in simple ways that allow those ingredients to shine. The freshest ingredients are picked at the height of summer growing season to create a dish that is greater than the sum of its parts. Bursting ripe tomatoes and fragrant basil are layered between slices of whole milk mozzarella and complemented with drizzles of the best available extra-virgin olive oil and intense balsamic vinegar. The tomatoes and basil are very much the stars of this dish.
Insalata Caprese – Tomato, Basil & Mozzarella Salad
- Small container with lid
- Serving dish
- 4 large Vine ripened tomatoes, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 lb Whole milk mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh and cut into ¼-inch slices
- large Basil leaves, enough for 1 per tomato slice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp Vinegar, balsamic or red wine
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 4 Basil leaves
- Make dressing by putting all dressing ingredients in a jar and shaking vigorously.In a serving dish, layer a tomato slice, mozzarella slice, and then basil leaf. Repeat fanning layers to create 2 parallel rows or a circle. Salt and pepper, shake dressing again and then pour over both rows. Serve immediately.
- There are versions of this simple salad using halved cherry tomatoes and small mozzarella balls. Some add thinly sliced onions.
- The original version from the Island of Capri used local arugula and oregano.
- This recipe, other that the tomatoes, is made to be toyed with.