Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancake made with cabbage, scallions, and an array of toppings. The city of Osaka is said to make the most delicious and well known traditional Okonomiyaki.
Japanese Savory Pancakes- Okonomiyaki
- 10-inch flat cooking plate or nonstick frying pan
- 1 tsp Dashi stock powder
- 200 ml Hot water
- 1¼ cup All-purpose flour
- 4 large Egg
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 16 oz Chinese or Napa cabbage, shredded (Sub: regular cabbage)
- 2 stalk Scallion
- 8 pieces Bacon (omit for vegetarian version)
- Bonito flakes, pickled ginger, powdered seaweed (Aonori), some or all for garnish
- Mayonnaise in squirt bottle (can omit)
- ¼ cup Okonomiyaki Sauce, homemade or store bought
- Prep – Dissolve dashi in a bowl with the hot water. Finely chop cabbage and scallion. Buy or make Okonomiyaki sauce. Cut bacon in half crosswise.
- Make Batter – In a large bowl, stir in flour, salt, and sugar. Pour dashi stock in the mix. Add cabbage and scallion. Mix everything together.
- Cook Okonomiyaki -Heat pan over medium heat. Place 4 half bacon slices along the bottom of the pan. Pour 1 cup of batter evenly over the bacon and bottom of the pan. When the edges have become firm and cooked (about 3 minutes), carefully flip it over with a large spatula. Put lid on and steam for a few minutes. Turn the okonomiyaki over if to be sure the bacon is cooked to your liking.
- Serve – Transfer to a small plate or bowl. Brush top with Okonomiyaki Sauce and garnish with choice of bonito flakes, powdered green seaweed, and pickled ginger.