Yachaejeon is a Korean Vegetable pancake that’s savory and filled with zucchini, scallions, sweet potato, mushroom and onion. Yachaejeon literally means “vegetables fried pancake”. This pancake is easy to make and is nice as a side dish served with diner or as breakfast or lunch. It goes well with rice, or by itself. A salty soy dipping sauce is a must.
Yachaejeon – Vegetable Pancakes
- Large skillet, preferably nonstick
- Large bowl, small bowl for dipping sauce
- 1 cup Zucchini, cut into 1-inch long matchsticks
- 8 Scallions, tips removed and cut in 1-inch lengths
- 6 oz Onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup Leeks, white part cut in 1-inch long matchsticks
- 1 medium Jalapeno, sliced into thin slivers
- ½ cup Sweet Potato, julienned
- 1½ cup All-purpose flour
- 1½ cup Water
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 8 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 4 tbsp Rice wine vinegar (or whatever else is on hand)
- 1½ tsp Hot pepper flakes, optional
- 2 tsp Toasted sesame seeds
- Make Dipping Sauce – In a lidded container, combine soy sauce, vinegar, hot pepper flakes, and sesame seeds. Cover, shake, and set aside.
- Make Batter – Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl. Add flour, water, and salt. Mix everything together with a wooden spoon.
- Make Pancakes – Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat. Make 2 batches of large pancakes or several smaller ones. Add 2 tbsp oil and be sure to coat bottom evenly. Pour ½ of the batter into a nonstick pan. Even it out with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium and cook until bottom becomes light golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Shake pan or slide a spatula under pancake to be sure its not sticking anywhere. Flip pancake.Increase heat to medium high. Add 2 tbsp oil around the edge of the pancake. Lift up the edges with a spatula to allow the oil to flow underneath the pancake. Cook 3-4 minutes until the bottom turns golden brown. Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes on each side to get it as crispy as you like, being careful not let it burn. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and lay paper towels on top while repeating the process again with the remaining batter. Cut into serving size wedges and serve with sauce.
- Add or delete vegetables as you like.