What could be better than a single desert that combines the best of Mexico and Spain? This easy to make recipe is two desserts in one. Mexican chocolate is presented in a cake topped by cajeta, a sweet caramel-like topping. The bottom of the same cake is a creamy flan, the same custardy flan introduced to Mexico by the Spanish conquistadors. This irresistible 2-in-1 desert may seem impossible to do. It’s not!
Chocoflan- Pastel Imposible
Mexican Chocoflan is an interesting presentation of a creamy flan with a caramelized top over a rich chocolate cake. The flan is poured over the cake in a bundt pan and then rises to the top, switching places with the flan during cooking. After it cools, it is then inverted onto a plate. So the inverted desert gets inverted so that you get an desert that ends as it started. Imposible (Eim-poe-see-blay)! This recipe has been updated and simplified so it can be made at home without losing it's unique flavor or interesting presentation.Print Pin
- 12-inch bundt cake pan
- Roasting pan with high sides
- Stand mixer or whisk
- Food Processor or blender
- 2 tbsp Butter, softened for greasing (or spray)
- ¾ cup Cajeta (or caramel sauce or Dulce de Leche)
- 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
- 1¼ cup Water
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 6 large Eggs
- 14 oz Can of condensed milk, sweetened
- 10 oz Can of evaporated milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 oz Cream cheese, softened
- Prepare Pan – Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Boil about 8 cups water. Move rack to middle of oven. Lightly grease inside of bundt pan with butter or spray. Swirl cajeta along bottom of bundt pan.
- Make Cake Batter – In the mixing bowl or a stand mixer, combine the cake mix with 1¼ cup water, oil, and 3 eggs. Beat on low speed to combine, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to high and mix for another 3 minutes. Cake batter will become thick and creamy. Gently layer over cajeta in bundt pan. Don't stir!
- Make Flan Filling – In a blender, puree the sweetened condensed milk, 3 eggs, evaporated milk, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth Gently pour the flan batter evenly over the cake batter. Again, don't stir!
- Cook Chocoflan – Place roasting pan on middle rack in preheated oven. Carefully place filled bundt pan in middle and fill about half-way with boiling water to create a Bain Marie. Cook for 45 minutes without opening the oven door. Remove and let cool completely.
- Serve – When cooled, place flat serving platter over bundt pan, wiggle it a bit to loosen the sides and then flip pan and platter over so that chocoflan now sits in all its splendor on the platter. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- The chocolate cake may be made from scratch by creaming 10 tbsp softened unsalted butter and in an electric mixer, about 5 minutes. Beat in egg. In a separate bowl, mix together 1 1/3 flour, 1 tbsp ground cinnamon, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 3/4 tsp baking powder, and 3/4 tsp baking soda. Add 1/3 dry mixture to butter/sugar then 1/3 of butter milk. Repeat 2 more times finishing with 1/2 cup of buttermilk (1 1/4 cups total). Mix well and complete assembly as described above.
Calories: 518kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 494mg | Potassium: 281mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 398IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 314mg | Iron: 1mg