It is virtually impossible for me not to purchase a plastic container of three bean salad when visiting a Middle Eastern market. This Mediterranean bean salad is bursting with bright, fresh flavors and is a wonderful dish especially in the summer.
It combines a medley of kidney beans, black beans, and garbanzo beans which are a good source of protein and fiber. It’s then tossed with a delightful lemon dressing and fresh herbs. Chopped cucumber and tomato help it become even more refreshing.
Mediterranean Three Bean Salad
- Large bowl
- Wire whisk
- 15 oz Can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz Can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz Can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- ½ medium Green bell pepper, cored andchopped
- ½ medium Red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- ½ large English cucumber, diced (or 2 Armenian cucumbers)
- 1 cup Red onion, chopped
- 1½ tbsp Capers
- 1 cup Fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 12 Fresh mint leaves, lightly chopped
- 12 Fresh basil leaves, lightly chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine garlic, mustard, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil whisking constantly.Add the rest of the ingredients and stir everything together. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover 1 hour, and up to 3 days. Remove from refrigerator, adjust seasoning, and serve with some soft pita bread.