Potato Salad, like Macaroni Salad and Coleslaw, is an American standard. There’s not a picnic, roadside diner, or barbeque joint that doesn’t include at least one of these. This cool and creamy recipe is loaded with interesting flavors and will soon become your go-to.
Creamy Potato Salad
- 2 medium saucepans, 1 with a lid.
- Large bowl
- 2 lb Medium potatoes, Russet or Red Bliss
- 1 cup Celery, sliced thin
- ½ cup Sweet onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup Pickle chips, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Pickle juice (from pickle jar)_
- 1¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Celery seeds
- 2 stalk Scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp Hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 2 tsp Yellow or Dijon mustard
- 1½ tsp Each: salt and black pepper
- 3 large Eggs, hard boiled and coarsely chopped
- Prep – Hard boil eggs by covering eggs with cold water in a medium saucepan and bringing to a boil. Boil for exactly 3 minutes, then cover and move to an unused burner for 12 minutes. Shock cooked eggs in a bowl filled with ice and water. Once cooled, crack big end and then peel. Chop roughly.Boil potatoes: Fill a large saucepan with enough water to cook potatoes. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, peel potatoes then cut into 1½-inch cubes. Place potato cubes and 2 tbsp salt in boiling water. Once water returns to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are cooked through but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Drain cooked potatoes in a colander and then pour them in the ice water bath used for the eggs. Leave in for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly and leave in colander until ready to use.
- Assemble – In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, celery seed, mustard, hot sauce, pickle juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir in celery, onion, scallion, and relish. Add potatoes and gently mix to coat thoroughly. Fold in chopped eggs. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Potato salad can be made up-to 5 days in advance and kept, covered, in the refrigerator.