Macaroni and Cheese is one of those dishes that every country and cuisine that eats dairy (butter, milk, cheese) has their own special version of. In America, every region of the country has their own take on this classic: Swiss or American or Gruyere or Parmesan cheese, cooked on top-or in the oven, creamy or encrusted, bread crumbs or… Two constants, however, are that there’s not a BBQ or cookout in America without it, and it is one of the most kid-friendly comfort foods ever.
Creamy Stove Top Mac & Cheese
- Large pot
- Wire whisk
- 1 lb Elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 cup Water
- 3½ cup Milk, whole or 2%
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Onion powder
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Smoked paprika (SUB: sweet paprika)
- ½ tsp Dry mustard powder
- 4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp Parsley, chopped
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add flour and whisk to combine, about 1 minute. Pour in water and whisk until smooth and just thickened. Add milk and whisk until combined.
- Stir in the uncooked macaroni, salt, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and paprika. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until pasta is done, 8-10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and stir in the cheeses. Keep stirring until all the cheese is melted and smooth. Serve hot with parsley sprinkled on top.