A Dutch Baby pancake is a single, large pancake that is baked in an extremely hot skillet in the oven. The batter puffs up in the oven and then deflates leaving the outside edges curled-up and crispy. They are then served topped with a variety of fillings from fresh berries and jams, whipped cream, butter, lemon, and powdered sugar. Dutch Baby pancakes are also known as German Pancakes, a Bismark, and a Dutch puff.
Dutch Baby with Berries
This large, fluffy pancake is excellent for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dessert any time of year. It comes together in about five blessed minutes. Just dump all of the ingredients into a mixer, give it a good whirl, pour it into a heated skillet sizzling with butter, and pop it into the oven. Twenty-five minutes and a few toppings later- nirvana!Print Pin
- Stand Mixer with paddle and whisk attachments
- 10- inch cast iron skillet
- ½ cup Milk
- 3 large Eggs
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup Unsalted European butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- Assorted fresh berries (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional garnish)
- 12 link Breakfast sausage (optional)
Make Dutch Baby
- Place a heavy cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat oven to 400°F (200°F).
- In a blender, beat the milk, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Slowly add the flour, granulated sugar, nutmeg, and salt and continue to beat until light and smooth.
- After 5 minutes, carefully remove skillet from the oven. Add butter to the skillet and immediately return to the oven. As soon as butter is melted, remove the skillet and swirl the melted butter to coat the bottom and sides. Immediately pour the batter into the hot skillet and return skillet to oven to bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- When Dutch Baby is done, move it to a serving plate (or leave in skillet) and fill center with berries. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut into wedges, and serve. Sausages or whipped cream on the side make great accompaniments.
- Batter can be made in advance and refrigerated.
Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 184mg | Sodium: 333mg | Potassium: 107mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 725IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 1mg