The Juicy Lucy Burger was invented in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has become synonymous with the city. Gooey cheese is sealed in the middle of a hamburger patty and pan-fried until crispy on the outside. Served on a soft brioche or hamburger bun and covered in caramelized onions, this burger is a welcome treat with a cheesy first bite. Serve with french fries or potato chips.
Juicy Lucy Burger
- Large cast-iron skillet (12-inch)
- 24 oz Ground beef, 75-80% lean
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4 Slices American cheese (cheddar or monterey jack also work)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 large Onion, peeled, halved, and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 4 Soft potato or brioche rolls
- Bread & Butter pickle slices
- Caramelize Onions – Melt butter over medium-high in a large cast-iron skillet. Add onion and sprinkle onions with sugar, 1 tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Cook for 20 minutes to carmelize. Add 2 tbsp water every 5 minutes and stir often to prevent sticking. When soft and golden brown, transfer onions to a bowl, and wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
- Form Patties – Divide meat into 4 equal portions and then divide those into two. Roll 8 balls and press each down with your hands until they are ¼-inch thick and 4-inches wide. Season both sides of the 8 patties with salt and pepper.
- Form Burgers – Add 1 slice of cheese to the center of a pattie. Fold any overhanging cheese back in. Top cheese with another pattie seal the edges tightly with your fingers. Round the edges a little. Repeat to form 3 more burgers.
- Cook Burgers – Add the oil to the skillet to lightly coat the bottom. Heat skillet over medium-high until scalding hot, about 2 minutes. Add the burgers and cook 5 minutes on one side, then flip and cook about 2-3 minutes more. Transfer burgers to a paper towel-lined surface to rest.
- Toast Buns – Scrape up any cheese that might have escaped into the pan. Reduce heat to medium, place 4 bun halves cut-side down and toast for about 1 minute. Repeat process with other 4 halves. Lay pickles on the bottom halves, and then add burgers, caramelized onions, and finish with the bun's top. Serve immediately.