Beginning in 1890, thousands of Sicilians began to immigrate to the United States in order to escape the poverty, punitive taxation, and anti-Sicilian policies of the government. Many thousands of Sicilians immigrated to New Orleans seeking a better life. In 1906, Lupo Salvatore decided to combine local and Italian ingredients into a sandwich. He decided to use muffuletta bread, because of its availability and ability to hold the filling without leaking. To make each sandwich, Lupo filled a whole muffuletta loaf with an olive salad and Italian meats and cheeses. He then wrapped the whole thing in paper and sold it as a muffuletta sandwich. The bread became the sandwich and the name came along with it.
- Food processor
- 3/4 cup Olives, pitted
- 1 tbsp Capers
- ¼ cup Red red peppers, jar
- 2 tbsp Parsley leaves
- ½ cup Giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetables), jar
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Round muffuletta loaf (or other thick Italian bread loaf)
- ½ lb Soppressata salami, sliced thin (or Genoa salami)
- ½ lb Mortadella, sliced thin (or bologna)
- ½ lb Capicola ham, sliced thin (or any ham)
- ½ lb Provolone cheese, sliced thin
- Make Olive Salad – In the bowl of a food processor, combine olives, capers, peppers, parsley, giardiniera, and garlic, Pulse to chop into small ¼-inch chunks remain. Transfer to a bowl and stir in vinegar and olive oil. Cover and place in refrigerator so flavors can meld.
- Assemble Muffuletta – One hour before serving, split muffuletta loaf in half horizontally . Spread olive salad with any juices generously over bottom. Then, in order, layer ½ of the soppressata slices, followed by ½ of the mortadella, ½ capicola, and ½ provolone slices. Repeat with the remaining halves, Fish with bread top and press down to compress. For best flavor, wrap tightly in paper or plastic and let rest for 1 hour. Cut into 4 triangles and serve with chips and a pickle spear.
- Different cold cuts may be substituted. But note- the original flavors will diminish with each substitution.