A favorite dish of the Southern United States, fried cabbage is actually more sautéed and braised than fried. The dish is a great way to cook cabbage and is guaranteed to have “cabbage haters” asking for more.
Southern Fried Cabbage
- Large pot or wok, with cover
- 3 slices Bacon, cut crosswise into ½-inch slices
- 4 tbsp Butter, divided
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 medium Cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp Cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch Crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook bacon in a pot or wok over medium heat until fat is rendered. Add 2 tbsp butter then onions and sauté for 4 minutes. Add 1 tbsp water and stir to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom.
- Add ½ of the cabbage to the pot along with salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning. Stir to mix everything together. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in remaining cabbage and cover. Stirring occasionally, simmer cabbage about 30 minutes. Stir in 2 tbsp butter and cider vinegar. Sprinkle in crushed red pepper flakes, if desired, and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.