Macau is a peninsula at the southern tip of China’s Guangdong Province (Canton) and 37 miles east of Hong Kong. It became a Portuguese settlement in 1557 and stayed as a either a settlement, colony, or territory until it was officially transitioned to China along with Hong Kong in 1999. Macanese cuisine is a unique blend of Cantonese and Portuguese cuisines, with significant influences from Southeast Asia. Many unique dishes in Macau resulted from the spice blends that the wives of Portuguese sailors used in an attempt to replicate European dishes.
Typically, Macanese food is seasoned with various spices including turmeric, coconut milk, and cinnamon, and dried cod (bacalhau), giving special aromas and tastes. Famous dishes include galinha a Portuguesa, piri piri chicken, Macanese chili shrimp, stir-fried curry crab, and the dish below, minchi.
Macau is renowned for its flavour-blending culture and Macanese cuisine is the definition of true culinary fusion.
Minchi- Macanese Minced Beef and Pork
- Wok and large skillet
- Scooping spoon
- 8 oz Ground beef
- 8 oz Ground pork
- 1 large Russet (baking) potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Each: Kosher salt, cayenne pepper, white pepper, cinnamon.
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 cups Vegetable, peanut or canola oil, for frying
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 Fried eggs (1 per person)
- Heat olive oil in a wok or skillet. Fry onion and bay leaf until browned, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and all the spices. Toss in beef and pork and break it up with a mixing spoon, stirring to keep from sticking to pan.
- When meat is cooked through, stir in sugar and salt, followed by the soy and Worcestershire sauces. Transfer to a bowl and wipe pan clean.
- Add cooking oil to wok and fry potato cubes until golden brown. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. If pan too crowded, fry in 2 batches. Save oil in a jar to use again.
- Add reserved oil back into the skillet and fry eggs until white is set but yolk remains runny. Transfer to a plate without breaking.
- To serve, reheat meat mixture in pan then add potatoes. Immediately spoon onto a serving dish or plates and top with an egg.
- Add potatoes back in immediately before serving so they stay crisp.
- In Macau, the beef and pork is minced by chopping it with 2 cleavers.
- A cup of peas added when meat is being reheated is a nice addition.