It makes sense that a country located in the tropics would have dishes using the available coconuts and tropical fruits in many of their dishes. Bananas and plantains are among those they are a common snack eaten throughout Indonesia. Pisang (banana) goreng (fried) can be found any time of day at street vendors and local coffee shops. They are usually coated in a batter and deep fried to achieve a semi-sweet and soft insides surrounded by a crispy outside. The fancier coffee shops will serve them sprinkled with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, and even ice cream.
Pisang Goreng- Malaysian Fried Banana Fritters
These incredibly popular crispy fried banana fritters can be found at street markets all over Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore. These gluten-free wonders use only a few simple ingredients take and minutes to make.Print Pin
- Medium saucepan
- Whisk or wooden spoon
- 2 Medium bowls
- 6 large Bananas, ripe but firm, cut in half crosswise
- 2 cup Rice Krispies cereal, crushed into a bowl
- 2 cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 1 large Egg
- ½ cup Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- Mix all batter ingredients in a large bowl until a thick and smooth batter forms.
- Pour about 1-inch oil into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, dip a banana half into batter and then transfer to bowl with crushed Rice Krispies and roll around until evenly coated.
- Gently lower coated bananas into hot oil a few at a time. Fry until golden brown, a quick 1-2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Let oil get back to temperature then repeat until all bananas are done. Serve immediately.
- If Rice Krispies are unavailable, pretty much and crunchy cereal may be used. Panko bread crumbs can be used as well.
- Use bananas that are ripe and sweet (a few black spots) and not bananas that are overly ripe (lots of black spots and soft). Bananas that are too ripe will be too soft and soggy after frying.
Calories: 908kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 74g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 42g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 257mg | Potassium: 530mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 753IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 3mg