Filipino cuisine includes a lot of rich pork dishes. This vinegar-based dipping sauce to cut through all that richness to provide a cool and tangy element to any meal.
Filipino Spicy Vinegar Dip- Sawsawan
- Pint or quart sized jar with lid
- 3 cup Vinegar (palm, apple, or rice vinegar)
- 1 large Red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic, pounded with blade of large knife
- 1 tbsp Black peppercorns
- 3 medium Red chilis, sliced thin (red Thai or jalapeno are good)
- 1 medium Scotch bonnet or jalapeno pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 3 tbsp Sugar (white or light brown)
- 1 pinch Salt (Kosher or Sea Salt)
- Combine all the ingredients in a jar, screw on the lid, and shake to combine. Refrigerate 2-3 days to allow the flavors to meld together. To serve, shake jar thoroughly and our into small dipping bowl, one for each diner.