Kapow! Gai Pad Krapao, also known as Thai basil chicken stir-fry, is a popular Thai dish made with ground chicken, Thai holy basil, garlic, chili peppers, and a variety of sauces. It is typically served with rice and a fried egg on top and can be found at restaurants and street food stalls all over the country. It is also becoming increasingly popular in other parts of the world, as people are drawn to its unique flavor and simplicity. Interestingly enough, Gai Pad Krapao is one of the most popular dishes ordered by delivery in Thailand.
It is a relatively simple dish to make, but it is packed with flavor and heat. The holy basil gives the dish a unique and slightly licorice-like flavor, while the chili peppers add heat. The sauces, which typically include oyster sauce, soy sauce, and fish sauce, add depth and complexity to the flavor.
Gai Pad Krapao (Hot Stir Fried Ground Chicken with Holy Basil)
- Wok or large skillet
- Large nonstick pan
- 1 lb. Ground dark meat chicken (Sub: ground turkey, white meat chicken or pork)
- 3 tbsp Chile paste with holy basil (buy) https://importfood.com/products/thai-curry-paste/item/thai-chili-paste-with-holy-basil-leaves
- ¼ cup Green beans, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup Onion, sliced
- ½ cup Red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp Asian fish sauce https://importfood.com/products/thai-sauces-condiments/item/flying-lion-fish-sauce-viet-huong
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1½ tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Golden Mountain seasoning sauce (Sub: soy sauce) https://importfood.com/products/thai-sauces-condiments/item/flying-lion-fish-sauce-viet-huong
- 1½ tbsp Water
- 4 large Eggs, crispy fried in advance (optional)
- 1 small Cucumber, sliced
Gai Pad Krapao (from scratch)
- ¼ cup Vegetable oil
- 2 small Chili pepper
- 1 cup Holy basil leaves (Sub: Thai sweet or Italian basil)
- ½ tsp `White pepper
Gai Pad Krapao (using jarred Chile Paste with Holy Basil)
- Heat chile paste over medium heat until aroma rises from wok. Add ground meat, break up chunks with a utensil while it's cooking. When meat is fully cooked, add vegetables and stir-fry for a minute. Add in seasoning, sugar, oyster sauce, and fish sauce. Turn heat to high and stir fry 3 minutes. If dish appears too dry, add a little water. Fry eggs separately in a little oil.To plate, place a scoop of Gai Pad Krapao over white rice and add a fried egg on top. Garnish with sliced cucumber
Gai Pad Krapao (from scratch)
- If not using jarred Chili Paste with Holy Basil, follow above recipe except stir-fry meat in ¼ cup oil over medium-high heat, add chili pepper along with the chopped vegetables. When vegetables and sauces are cooked, remove from heat and stir in basil leaves and top with white pepper. Serve as above topped with a fried egg and surrounded by cucumber.¼ cup Vegetable oil, 2 small Chili pepper, 1 cup Holy basil leaves (Sub: Thai sweet or Italian basil), ½ tsp `White pepper
- If possible, use holy basil for this dish to give it its authentic floral fragrance and taste.
- Use only fresh basil and add it at the end of cooking with the heat off.