The Javanese tenderize their chicken by boiling it first in a bath of spiced coconut milk or water. Once tenderized and cooked through, they then deep fry or grill the chicken to get it crispy. During a Javanese Slametan (celebration), this chicken is almost always served next to the festive rice mountain, tumpeng. The dish is great hot with rice and cucumbers, or cold as part of a picnic.
Ayam Panggang Jawa – Javanese Grilled Chicken
- Food Processor or blender
- High-sided large skillet
- 1 large Whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 medium Onion, roughly chopped
- 3 small Red chilies, stemmed and chopped (or 1 jalapeno)
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Laos powder (optional)
- 2½ cups Coconut milk
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 stalk Lemongrass, white part only, crushed with a knife
- Salt to taste
- Prepare Chicken – In a food processor, make a paste of onion, chili peppers, turmeric, coriander, and laos. In a large skillet, add coconut milk, bay leaf, lemongrass, and stir in the spice paste. Add the chicken pieces and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer chicken to paper towels to remove any excess marinade.
- Cook Chicken and Serve – Preheat grill to hot. Transfer chicken to a plate. Return marinade to stove over medium heat and reduce sauce to a thin gravy consistency. Season to taste with salt.Place chicken pieces on hot grill, skin-up. Grill until bottom gets brown and crusty, about 4-5 minutes. Careful not to burn. Flip chicken and grill a few minutes more to brown and crisp the skin-side. Remove chicken to a serving platter skin side up. Pour hot sauce into a dipping bowl in the center of the serving dish and serve with white rice and a cucumber salad.
- The chicken pieces can be fried instead of grilled. Heat 3-4 cups canola oil to 350 degrees in a wok or deep fryer. Add chicken pieces 3-4 at a time and fry on both sides until golden brown, a few minutes. Remove to paper towels and bring oil back to 3 50. Repeat until all the pieces are done.