Temur Bumbu make a spirited and attractive accompaniment to any meal, especially a festive rice table or brunch. The brilliant red of the spicy sauce contrasts the white and yellow of the hard boiled eggs.
Telur Bumbu Bali- Balinese Style Spiced Eggs
A fixture at any rice table, this wonderful hard boiled egg dish is as spicy as it is tasty. Served at room temperature and sprinkled with crispy fried onions, this brightly colored dish makes for a welcome addition to any meal.Print Pin
- small frying pan
- Food Processor or blender
- 4 large Hard boiled eggs
- 4 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- ½ cup Onion or shallot, chopped
- ½ large Red bell pepper, seeds and stems removed, chopped
- 2 tsp Sambal Oelek (Sub: another chili sauce)
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tsp Tamarind concentrate (Sub: 1 tsp lime juice)
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Kecap Manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tsp Ginger, minced
- Fried shallots and chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Fry hard boiled eggs on all sides until brown all over, about 5 minutes. Set aside and pour off all but 1 tbsp oil.
- In a food processor or blender, process garlic, onion, bell pepper, and Sambal Oelek into a course paste. Add water and mix well. Pan fry mixture for 2 minutes over medium heat. Stir in tamarind, sugar, salt, ginger, and kecap manis.
- Add eggs back in and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes more. Stir to baste eggs in sauce.
- To serve, place eggs, either cut in half or left whole, in a small bowl and pour sauce over eggs. Garnish with parsley and fried shallot flakes. Serve at room temperature.
- Advance preparation – Prepare eggs and sauce separately and refrigerate. At serving time, reheat sauce with eggs.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 187mg | Sodium: 471mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 920IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg