Nasi Goreng is considered one of Indonesia’s five national dishes. It was brought to Indonesia by early Chinese settlers from southern China, where fried rice was made each morning to reuse any rice from the day before. With the additions of kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) and other local Indonesian spices, nasi goreng is unique in its is its smoky aroma and caramelized undertones. To complete the dish, add a fried egg, sprinkle with crispy fried shallots, and surround with fresh cucumber and tomato slices. Include a small bowl of sambal and a wedge of lime and you’ve got a 100% Indonesian masterpiece.
Nasi Goreng- Indonesian Fried Rice
- Rice maker or Instant Pot
- Wok or large skillet
- Food Processor or blender
Bumbu (Spice Paste)
- 6 whole Shallot (Sub: 1 small red or white onion)
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Shrimp paste (Sub: 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce or omit)
- 1 whole Red Chili pepper (Sub: serrano or jalapeno chili), stemmed
- ¼ whole Red bell pepper, seeded and deveined
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 3 cup Cold cooked rice
- 4 tbsp Vegetable or peanut oil
- 3 tbsp Kecap Manis (Sub: 2 tbsp dark soy mixed with 1 tbsp brown sugar)
- ¾ cup Rare roast beef, cut into ½-inch dice
- 6 medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined (Sub: 4 large shrimp cut into 3 pieces)
- 1 stalk Scallion, roughly chopped
- 4 large Eggs, fried (Sub: omelet rolled and shredded)
- 1 large Fresh tomato, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 large Cucumber, sliced diagonally
- ¼ cup Fried shallots
- Lime wedges
Bumbu (Spice Mix)
- In a food processor or blender, puree bumbu ingredients into a paste. Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Add Bumbu and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and stir-fry 30 seconds, then stir in Kecap Manis. Lower heat to medium and add cold rice, breaking it up into separate grains. Keep stirring until rice is hot, about 3 minutes. Add scallion and beef cubes. Stir another 2 minutes. Transfer to the middle of a serving platter.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 4 eggs and fry eggs sunny side up or make a thin omelet to roll into a cylinder and cut crossways into shreds.Alternate tomato wedges, cucumber slices and, if using, shredded eggs and lime wedges around rice. Sprinkle fried shallots over rice and fried eggs across the top if not using egg sliver.