This smooth and vibrant peanut sauce is actually the result of years of experimenting to create the best combination of peanut or satay sauces served everywhere in Southeast Asia. This satay sauce combines the sweet soy sauce, Kecap Manis, of Indonesia with red curry paste from Thailand to create a luscious satay sauce worthy of the best grilled meats in Southeast Asia.
Satay Sauce – Indonesian Peanut Sauce
- Medium saucepan
- Food Processor or blender
- 1 cup Canned coconut milk
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- 2 small Red chili peppers, stemmed and chopped
- 2 medium Shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- ⅓ cup Crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp Lime juice (½ lime)
- In a food processor or blender, puree garlic, shallots, chiles, and fish sauce to a paste. Add coconut milk, sugar, and peanut butter. Blend well.
- Scrape into a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes to thicken slightly. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and adjust for salt.