Tom yum goong is a complex and flavorful soup with a balance of spicy, sour, salty, and umami flavors. It is one of the most popular Thai dishes in the world.
The broth of tom yum goong is made with lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, chili peppers, fish sauce, lime juice, and mushrooms. The shrimp are added to the broth and cooked until just pink. The soup is then garnished with cilantro and served hot. The lemongrass and galangal give the soup a citrusy and earthy flavor, while the chili peppers and fish sauce provide heat and umami. The lime juice brightens the flavors of the soup and gives it a refreshing finish.
Tom Yum Goong- Hot and Sour Soup with Shrimp
- Soup pot
- 4 cups Chicken broth (Sub: vegetable or seafood broth)
- 2 cups Water
- 4 stalks Lemon grass (outer leaf removed, cut into 1-inch chunks and lightly smashed with back of knife)
- 16 medium Kaffir lime leaves, middle stem removed (Sub: 1 tsp lime zest per 2 lime leaves)
- 4 inch Galangal, sliced into coins (omit if can't find)
- 2 medium Onions, roughly chopped or sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 small Thai chilis, sliced in half (optional)
Ingredients to Add at End
- 12 medium Thawed shrimp, shells removed
- 2 cups Sliced mushrooms, white or cremini
- 2 cups Snow peas, tips removed
- 1 medium Fresh tomato, cut vertically into 8 pieces (added at end or omit)
- 1-2 tbsp Nam Prik Pao (Thai chili paste or sambal)
- ¼ cup Lime juice
- 6 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Sugar
Make Soup Base
- Add kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, onions, galangal, and garlic to the pot. Add broth and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it starts to boil, turn heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Strain all solids and discard. Return liquid to the pot.
Finish Tom Yum Goong
- Turn heat under pot to medium. Add chili paste to broth, 2 tsp at a time until desired heat is achieved. Put in mushroom slices and snow peas and cook for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and tomato to pot and cook another 1½ minutes. Turn off heat and stir in fish sauce, sugar, and lime juice. Taste an adjust seasonings. Ladle into bowls and serve.