One would be hard pressed to attend a cookout, house party, or street fair in Brazil and not find baskets of warm pao de queijo. These delicious morsels are not-to dissimilar the the airier French gougere, except with tapioca flour (gluten free) and a sharper Brazilian cheese rather than flour and gruyere cheese. Try to stop yourself from eating the whole basket of these morsels, I dare you.
Pão de Queijo- Brazilian Cheese Bread
These light and puffy cheese puffs make for a quick and easy hand-food or appetizer. The also freeze beautifully, making for a quick snack or appetizer without having to plan in advance.Print Pin
- Stand Mixer with paddle attachment
- mini muffin tin(s) = 24 wells
- Medium saucepan
- 2 cups Tapioca flour
- 1 cup Whole milk
- ¼ cup Water
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large Egg, beaten and at room temperature
- 1 tsp Salt
- Prep – Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly grease muffin tin(s). Shred cheese.
- Make Batter – Place tapioca flour in the mixers' bowl. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring milk, water, olive oil, and salt to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and pour over flour. Use mixer and incorporate at medium-low speed. Add egg and keep mixing until it's combined. Careful not to overmix. Toss in cheese and mix a few seconds more to combine.
- Bake Cheese Breads – Pour equal amounts into muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes till lightly browned. Serve hot, or refrigerate for up-to 5 days, or freeze indefinitely.
Calories: 64kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.001g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 24mg | Fiber: 0.04g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 0.2mg