The Spaniards claim to have invented mayonnaise. A lot of other countries do as well. Whomever is responsible did the world a great favor. Homemade mayonnaise, especially when made with the highest quality extra-virgin Spanish olive oil, is noticeably superior to even the best store bought brands. Toss in a little garlic like they do in Spain and the dish it’s served with compliments the aioli, not the other way around.
Aioli – Garlic Mayonnaise
- Food Processor or blender
- 4 cloves Garlic, put through a garlic press
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Small egg yolk
- 1 tsp Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup Extra virgin olive oil, mild flavored
- 1 tbsp Hot water
- In a food processor, add garlic, egg yolk, salt, add lemon juice. Pulse until well mixed.
- With the motor running, slowly drizzle in a thin stream of olive oil. Stop once or twice to scrape down the sides. When all the oil is in and aioli emulsified, gradually blend in water.
- Place in a container with a lid and refrigerate.
- If anyone’s a little squeamish about using an uncooked egg yolk, use an egg substitute that contains real egg yolks instead.