This combination of two Spanish classics – Manchego cheese and romesco sauce – is a marriage made in heaven and a perfect addition to any tapas party. Try this as an alternative to mozzarella sticks at your next event- it’s similar, but the sharp manchego and flavorful romesco make for a unique take on fried cheese and dip.
Fried Manchego Cheese with Romesco Sauce
This beautiful dish is a welcome appetizer or tapas party addition. The cheese, Manchego, is synonymous with Spain and is sturdy enough to hold up to frying. It is pan fried to a crispy crust and ready to be dipped in Spain's classic romesco sauce.Print Pin
- Large skillet
- 2 Medium bowl
- Slotted spoon
- 1 RECIPE Romesco sauce
- 8 oz Block of Manchego cheese
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tsp Milk
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Dried rosemary
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Parsely, chopped
- Cut rind off Manchego cheese and slice into ¼-inch thick triangles.
- Add flour with a pinch of salt and pepper to 1 bowl. Beat together egg and milk in a second bowl. Combine bread crumbs with rosemary in yet a third bowl. Bread each slice of cheese by coating it with flour, then egg wash, and finally breadcrumbs. Place on a plate and repeat until all cheese slices are fully coated.
- Place bowl of Romesco sauce in the middle of a round serving platter. Heat olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Once oil becomes hot, begin frying the cheese slices in batches for 30 seconds on each side. Remove fried cheese slices to the serving platter, fanning around the sauce bowl. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
- Leftover fried Manchego may be stored in the refrigerator for days and reheated in an oven or toaster oven.
Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 593mg | Potassium: 66mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 415IU | Vitamin C: 0.01mg | Calcium: 647mg | Iron: 2mg