The ancient greeks referred to cheese as “a gift from the gods”. Spain has a great cheese tradition and some of its cheeses are considered the best in the world, such as the famous Manchego cheese. The geography of Spain, much like France, is ideal for the production of cheese. Spain has more than 150 different types of cheese with more than 20 of them have a Designation of Origin.
The Cabrales cheese used in this recipe is one of those 20 Spanish cheeses with a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO). Queso Cabrales is a semi-hard, fatty blue cheese not dissimilar to French Roquefort. Both are aged in naturally formed limestone caves where the cold and humid conditions help facilitate the growth of the green-blue penicillium mold on these prized cheeses.
Cabrales is treasured as a base for sauces, paired with fruit and red wine, and for melting over grilled and roasted meats. This recipe for steak with blue cheese is one of those showcases.
Entrecote al Queso Cabrales (Steak with Blue Cheese Sauce)
- Large skillet
- Small microsafe bowl or small saucepan
- Instant read thermometer
- 4 oz Queso Cabrales (Sub: Roquefort or Danish blue cheese)
- 4 tsp White wine or sherry
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp minced parsley
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 4 Ribeye steaks or similar, 1-inch thick
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tbsp Lightly toasted pine nuts
- In a small microwave safe bowl, heat the cheese, wine, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, paprika and pepper for 30 seconds. If not melted, heat in additional 10 second increments. Stir and cover. Put aside.
- Heat butter in large skillet. Sauté the steaks over medium-high heat until cooked to taste, 125°F (50°C) on an instant read thermometer. Remove to warm platter and loosely cover.
- Deglaze pan with ½ cup water, scraping up bits from the bottom. Scoop out 2 tbsp of the remaining liquid and mix into the blue cheese sauce. Pour sauce over steaks. Garnish with a sprinkle pine nuts and serve.
- Sauce can be made in a small saucepan if a microwave isn’t available.