Rodkal is a side dish that is always on the table during holidays, especially Christmas. It is also a year-round favorite that pairs exceptionally well with poultry and grilled meats.
Rodkal- Danish Sweet & Sour Red Cabbage
- Soup pot
- 1 large Head of red cabbage
- ½ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Pomegranate juice (Sub: red currant juice)
- 4 tbsp Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Ground cloves
- 1 tbsp Butter (Sub: olive oil for Vegan)
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage and cut into quarters. Remove and discard tough white inner core. Slice cabbage into ¼-inch sheds.
- Place cabbage, vinegar, juice, sugar, salt, and ground cloves in a soup pot over low heat. Cover and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, remove lid and stir in butter. Place in a serving bowl and enjoy.
- To store, wash canning jars with soap and water. Fill jars and screw lids on. Submerge in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove to a towel and let cool for 5 minutes. Tighten lids completely and store.