Kvæfjordkake is often called Verden Beste, ‘the world’s best’ cake. The meringue, vanilla cream, and almond-packed sponge cake is known and enjoyed throughout region and considered by some to be Norway’s national cake. The cake originates from Kvæfjord, an area in the north of Norway. Despite much of the area being mountains and fjords, it’s also known for agriculture and farming, especially its strawberries.
Popular Norwegian musician Ola Bremnes wrote his own tribute to Kvaefjordkake:
“…the world is nicer for a short while while under a sponge cake sky“.
Kvaefjordkake- Norwegian Creamy Layered Sponge Cake
Norwegian's pride in this wonderful symphony of taste and texture makes total sense after one bite. The key ingredient is eggs. The whites are used to make the crisp, chewy almond meringue, and the yolks to make both the sponge base and the custard filling. It'd be hard to make a case this isn't the best cake in the world.Print Pin
- Stand mixer or whisk
- Baking pan lined with parchment paper
- Medium saucepan
- Medium bowl
- 7 tbsp Butter, room temperature
- 8 tbsp Sugar
- 4 large Egg yolks
- 1¼ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 4 large Egg whites
- 7 oz Sugar
- 1 pinch Cream of tartar
- ½ cup Sliced almonds (for topping)
Creme Patissiere (optional custard)
- 4 oz Sugar
- 2 oz All-purpose flour
- 2 cup Milk
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 large Egg yolks
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 7 oz Heavy cream
Cream Filling (if not using Custard)
- 12 oz Heavy cream
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- whole Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.), optional
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy, about 5 minutes at medium speed. Add in egg yolks one at a time. with motor running. Add vanilla, flour and, baking powder a little at a time. Add milk until just mixed. Careful not to overmix.
- Spread the sponge cake into a 8½x11-inch (22×28 cm) rectangle, evenly spread over the bottom of the baking pan lined with parchment paper or greased with butter. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Don't worry about perfect lines as you'll be trimming cake later.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Add sugar 1 tbsp at a time until incorporated. Spread meringue evenly over sponge cake fully covering the surface.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds over the meringue. Place cake in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes. When done, remove cake and let it cool completely.
Creme Patissiere (Optional)
- While cake is in the oven, make creme patissiere (if using). If not, skip this step. Warm milk to point where a little steam shows. Remove from heat.In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg yolks, sugar, flour, and vanilla. Whisk to blend. Pour milk into bowl and whisk to blend everything together. Pour bowl's contents back into the saucepan and gently heat, whisking constantly until it boils. Cook a few minutes more to cook flour out. Pour back into the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator until ready to use. Just before using, whip cream until soft peaks appear then fold it into the cooled creme patissiere.
- If not using the creme patissiere, make cream by beating the cream with vanilla extract until stiff.
- Cut the cooled cake in half horizontally. Cover bottom half with either of the cream fillings and dot with berries, if using. Place the other half over that, almonds side up. The cake can be served immediately, but is easier to slice and sets a little if refrigerated for a few hours.
Calories: 3295kcal | Carbohydrates: 274g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 229g | Saturated Fat: 128g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 16g | Monounsaturated Fat: 69g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 1120mg | Sodium: 1211mg | Potassium: 1070mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 217g | Vitamin A: 7923IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 753mg | Iron: 7mg