In landlocked Mali, tiep is a dish consisting of chicken, rice, and vegetables. Mali’s coastal neighbor to the west, Senegal, has taken the dish to new heights by replacing the chicken with fish, spicing it up, and embracing it as its national dish, Thieboudienne or Ceebu Jen.
Traditionally, it is eaten in a large communal dish. It is a symbol of Senegalese hospitality where family and guests gather around a single dish and using a spoon or bread, scooping out what they want to eat from the shared plate.
Thieboudienne- Senegalese Fish and Rice Platter
- Large pot or Dutch Oven
- Large bowl
- Slotted spoon
- 4 large White fish snapper or grouper fillets, cut in half across the middle
- ½ cup Parsely, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 cube Chicken bullion, crushed
- 1 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Palm or vegetable oil
- ½ cup Palm oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large Yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Black pepper
- 14 oz Can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 large Carrots, peeled and cut into 4 pieces each
- 1 large Sweet potato, peeled chopped into large chunks
- 1 medium Eggplant, cut into large chunks
- 1 small Cabbage, cored and quartered
- 1 cube Chicken bullion
- 4 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Netetou (optional)
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1½ cup Broken rice (or long grain rice)
- 1 large Lime, cut into wedges
- Marinate Fish – Combine marinade ingredients in a plastic seal-top bag. Gently massage to coat all the fish fillets. Refrigerate for an hour or more to allow the flavors to meld.
- Make Tomato Sauce – Heat the oil over medium-high heat and sauté onion, tomato, tomato paste, black pepper, and garlic. Fry for 15 minutes.Add crushed bullion cube, bay leaves, netetou (if using), fish sauce, chili pepper, and 1 cup water. Mix well then lay the fish filets into the sauce. Simmer until fish fillets are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Cook Vegetables – Remove the fish fillets to a plate and keep warm. Add all the vegetables and cook until tender but not mushy, approximately 25-30 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Finish Dish – Add rice to juices in pan and cook, covered, over low heat until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.To serve, place rice in the middle of a serving platter and arrange fish and vegetables on top. Surround with lime wedges and serve hot.